Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Loaf

I first made this KAF bread recipe the Friday after Thanksgiving.  I was looking for a way to use up some leftover fresh cranberries but I did not want to make a sweet bread.  This recipe looked like it fit the bill.  It was my first experience using a sponge.  Previous forays into yeast breads were the simple make the dough let it rise shape the dough let it rise and bake it.  I had seen lots of recipes on line using preferments but had not attempted them.  I am the type that has to do a lot of research before attempting something - aka "analysis paralysis" lol.  The sponge looked more like a lump of dough when I made it.  Not like the pictures of others I had seen on line.  I covered the bowl and went to bed stuffed from all the turkey and fixins from the day.  The next morning I peeked at the bowl and it still looked like a lump of dough though puffy.  I lifted the plastic wrap and it smelled so wonderful.  I made the dough and let it do its thing.  It was quite puffy but it did not double.  Next I had to work the cranberries and nuts into the risen dough.  This was a bit of a challenge.  I felt I was making no progress at all and then suddenly, after about four minutes, the dough "opened up" and took the fruit and nuts.  After shaping the loaf and letting it rest, it was time to bake.  Boy did the house smell good.  It was so hard to wait for the bread to cool before cutting into it.  It was so yummy.  I have to tell you, it made the most incredible turkey sandwich.  The nuttiness of the whole wheat and the tartness of the fresh cranberries was a winning combination.  I made it again today for leftover ham sandwiches.  Another tasty treat.  This recipe is a keeper. I encourage you to try it.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/whole-wheat-cranberry-orange-loaf-recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment